Sunday, September 5, 2010

Blog #1

While reading the Introduction and Chapter 1 of the book "They Say I Say" I found a lot of very helpful information. In the Introduction the author brings up the traditional five paragraph essay. This is the type of essay that I remember writing and learning about all the way through High School. I do agree with the author that you do need more than just evidence that supports your thesis; you also need conversation to argue effectively. Being able to incorporate the he said she said and being able to argue or agree with those statements helps readers understand more of what you are arguing, as opposed to just showing your point of view and the facts as to why you chose that point of view.


One of the questions that is in the book is, "Do Templates Stifle Creativity?" Templates are a good source to use when writing a paper. Templates can help a person get their thoughts in order and can help sort out ideas to be put into a logical way that makes sense in a paper. Papers would not be robotic, because the words and information that are used in each paper would be unique and creative in their own way.

Quotations are very important in showing why you agree or disagree with something. Quotations can be under and over used in papers. I agree that you need to quote, but you also need to make sure that you are incorporating a lot of your own ideas into your paper to get your views across to the readers.

All in all, I agree with most of the information that is offered in the book "They Say I Say." I think that the information given will be very helpful to me while writing any paper that is required this semester and in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment